Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My sons snake is not eating and my son thinks that it might

Customer Question

my sons young snake is not eating and my son thinks that it might have swollen anal glands. can snakes get constipated?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the snake's name and age?
Customer: blue is the name i am not sure the sex and i think we have had it about a year and it was small when we got it.
JA: How old is name?
Customer: at the most 2years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about name?
Customer: one of the eyes appears as though it has not shed properly and it has been that way for about 3 months
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What type of snake is this?
2) Can you give me information on the ambient heat and humidity in the habitat?
3) Is he still eating well?
4) Can you post pictures of the area of swelling, if visible.
5) When did he last eat?
6) When did he last defecate?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
i will have to get back to you when i collect the information.

No worries. I will be on most of the day.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the snake is a ball python and the regular reptile lighting is being used and switched from day to night.the last time we saw the snake eat was about a month ago because the snake got out of the cage and somehow got outside and just a week ago was found in the front yard.we have not seen him defecate because it has been gone. is swelling at the end where he poops. i do not have the capability to send a picture

It's very possible that he may have ingested something during the time that he was out that has caused an impaction. I think given the history and symptoms your best bet will be seen a reptile vet. Do you already have a vet that can examine him or do you need help finding one?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
is there medicine that we could go ahead and try in case it is constipation?because we are between paydays and i dont have the money for a real vet visit and i am hoping to bring some comfort

You can certainly try soaking him in a warm bath for 15-30 minutes supervised up to twice daily. This often produces a bowel movement. This may help him to produce whatever he has causing the protrusion, but there is no medication that you can give him OTC that is going to help whatever this is pass. Alas, we don't have the ability to do this for reptiles like we do for cats and dogs.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Checking in. How is your companion? I didn't hear back from you yesterday.