Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We just adopted a 2 year old female bearded dragon from

Customer Question

Hi!,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the reptile?
Customer: We just adopted a 2 year old female bearded dragon from somebody that told us she hasn't fed it in about a week and a half. She will not eat anything for me so I've been feeding her baby food and she seems to be gaining a little weight. She's so small for being 2 years though, we have a 7 month old one and it is so much bigger than her. She seems to have no muscle in her legs at all
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There isn't
JA: What is the baby's name?
Customer: Her name is willow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about willow?
Customer: Not at the moment
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Dragons for 40 years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Supplements?

Diet if eating Veggies/Prey?

Passing stool?

Temps in basking area, ambient and cool side?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a 55 gallon tank. She has a reptisun 10.0 uvb light and a basking bulb. Its about 100 in the hot spot and about 70-75 in the cool side. I've been feeding her baby food mixed with calcium because she won't eat anything. I think it's because the people that her her before we got her a week ago didn't feed her for over a week. She seems to have lot all of her muscle in her legs.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Thank-you! If the former owners have not been feeding her or have given poor care I would bet she has a Parasite bloom from the stress. I would like you to start giving her a daily soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water about 90* for 10 mins. This will hydrate her her through the skin and vent. For the baby food mix Green Bean Baby food with Chicken Baby Food and a pinch of calcium. At her age she needs 80% veggies and 20% live prey. When she does take prey, crickets, dubia roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms and Goliath worms are all acceptable. No Meal worms or super worms.

You are doing everything righ as far as husbandry, so at this point she needs a hands on exam and a Fecal to be done, to see if this is a parasite issue or if there is something else going on. If you will supply a State I can locate soem Herp Vets for you.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 30 days ago.

How is the Dragon doing? wanted to check back in with you.

Joan