Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

She's got yellow skin head can't pick up her head, Bricky 6

Customer Question

She's got yellow skin white head can't pick up her head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the head's name and age?
Customer: Bricky 6 months maybe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bricky?
Customer: Seems like dying. Lethargic slow breathing Recently changed feeding and exposure to heat as per instructions we researched
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Just put her in shallow container with damp cloth
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Bricky is ill. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

What kind of reptile is she?

What did you feed her before, and what is she getting now?

What temperatures do you now have under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure?

What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would to request the following Expert Service(s) fryou: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Crested gecko
Wrong diet
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Baby food w/
Lizard food and cricket in habitat but never ate
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Have her in shallow container with damp cloth
Expert:  Anna replied 28 days ago.

Thank you. What are your present temperatures?

Expert:  Anna replied 28 days ago.

I don't want you to have to wait any longer, so I'm going to go ahead and answer without knowing the temperatures. Crested geckos are one of the more difficult lizards to keep.

Your gecko is critically ill, and may not survive.I know that isn't what you want to hear, but I believe you deserve honesty. However, we're going to do our best to help her pull through.

Crested geckos will die if they are subjected to temperatures of 85*F or higher. . You want to maintain the temperature between 72*F and 80*F. Be sure to use a good thermometer and make sure you do not overheat her. But we also don't want her to be chilly.You could use an under-the-cage heat mat, or a light. When using a light, you can adjust the temperature by moving the fixture up or down, or by using a different size light bulb.

From what you have described, the gecko is dehydrated. I'll give you a first aid measure for that. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water (at about 75*F) and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your gecko for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

The foods you're giving her are not a very good ones. Repashy makes a better one, and she may be more inclined to eat it. If you can't find it locally, here is an online source:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-diet.html

Also, try feeding her some baby food fruits. Crickets should only be rare treats. After being warm enough and having a couple of soaks, her appetite may improve. You can try dropping a small dollop of baby food fruit right on the end of her snout. sometimes they will lick it off.

It would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with a reptile vet tomorrow. This link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know. I hope your gecko will recover.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 26 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna