Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Hoping you can help me problem solve: Not sure who to ask,

Customer Question

Hoping you can help me problem solve:
Not sure who to ask, but I saw this croc in distress from a news clip http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/photos/pictures-of-the-week-nov-4-2016/ss-AAjQLfd?li=BBnb7Kz#image=35
He probably can't eat and hasn't been able to do so. Can you help? Locals are lacking experts.
I reached out to the Audubon Society, National Geographic, PETA, a local vet and a croc expert with no response.
Seems like a simple solution if you just have the contacts.
Will you help connect me to someone who is willing to help?
Please and thank you.
Ryan
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Ryan, I have searched online and it appears that the Central Sulawesi Natural Resource Conservation Agency is overseeing the efforts. I have also searched the area for a reptile vet and do not see any available. Someone is likely going to need to approach veterinary clinics in person to see if a vet will assist medically to get the crocodile restrained chemically, if needed. The fact that he's in the wild makes it much more difficult to approach the situation because he is not used to handling and can easily retreat into the water, which is the last thing you want if an animal has received a pharmaceutical that will cause even an altered mental state. The animal could die in our efforts to save it.

One benefit that I can see to him potentially not eating is that he will trim down some which will loosen the tire around his neck and may make it possible for easier removal. Although crocodiles tend to eat often, they are also a reptile that can fast for a very long time without long term health problems, too.

Are you personally involved in this undertaking? I ask because I'd like to know more about what food is being used. Fresh chicken is likely not going to work for a wild crocodile and some local fare or rotting flesh may tempt him more than fresh chicken.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not involved in any way except that I saw the picture. I live in North Carolina and have no experience with reptiles, but wanted to help him/her if I could. The caption below the picture said locals were lacking equipment and experts. Will you please send me the link that expalins what the Central Sulawesi Natural Resource Conservation Agency is doing for it? I didn't see it. Thank you!***@******.***

This is the link I found, you'll need to go about 1/2 way down the page to see the agency mentioned. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/09/21/efforts-to-remove-tire-from-crocodiles-neck-continue.html