Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

She is not eating and won't come off her basking loft, red

Customer Question

She is not eating and won't come off her basking loft
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: red ear slider turtle and she is about 6 years old
JA: What is the slid's name?
Customer: Rocky
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: no just not eating or leaving her basking loft day and night
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Rocky is not doing well. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take at home, and if she needs to be seen by a vet.When was the last time she was in the water? When she swam, did she float or swim lopsided?What are the temperatures in her basking area and in the water?What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?Have you noticed any bubbles coming from Rocky's nose or mouth?Has she been yawning more than usual?Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rocky has started coming off her basking loft and she swims floating like she always has. I did take her to a vet who is supposed to know turtles and he said to make the water warmer that maybe she was trying to hibernate. Normally the water temperature was 74-76 degrees and said to make it 80 degrees - I did that but I thought the water was too warm so I turned the heater down and now its about 78 degrees. She is eating but only Red Shrimp which is in a jar I buy at the pet store - she will not eat the sticks or the pellets. She seems a little better but I feel she is not getting enough nutrition. She will not eat any greens as well. I am not sure of the name of the UVB light but its a popular brand that starts with Z. I do notice that she does yawn I think its a yawn she opens her mouth and rubs her head with her paws. Any advice will be greatly appreciated - I really don't want anything to happen to her. Thank You
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The advice to warm the water was good. Optimal water temperatures are 78*F to 82*F.The basking area should be 85*F to 90*F.While the vet you saw gave you good advice on the water, I suspect he/she missed something. The floating that you see is often a sign of a respiratory infection. If that's what it is, only prescription antibiotics will help. I recommend getting a second opinion. If you'll give me your zip code, I can find a reptile vet for youAnna
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My zip code is 11542 - The vet I used for Rocky was Syosset Animal Hospital. Thank you so much for your help. I will follow your advice.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
I will check on vets for you - be back shortly.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. Here are some vets who are recommended by other reptile owners:

Long Island Bird & Exotics Veterinary Clinic
Shachar Malka, DVM
333 Great Neck Rd
Great Neck, NY 11021
Telephone:(###) ###-####/p>

Old Country Animal Clinic
Robert A. Monaco, DVM
669 Old Country Road
Plainview, NY 11803
Telephone:(###) ###-####/p>

Beverlie Animal Hospital
Paul Raiti, DVM
17 West Grand Street
Mount Vernon, NY 10552
Telephone:(###) ###-####/p>

Center for Veterinary Care
Dr. Grayson
640 Central Park Avenue
Scarsdale, NY 10583
Telephone:(###) ###-####/p>

If you schedule an appointment, be sure to let them know that Rocky is floating instead of swimming.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Rocky will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!