Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My husband and I filled a crack in our Stucco wall with

Customer Question

My husband and I filled a crack in our Stucco wall with Quikrete Polyurethane Concrete Crack Sealant and found a baby alligator lizard trapped in the sealant the next morning. We were able to carefully cut the lizard free and remove a majority of the cured sealant, but all four the lizard's feet are still encased. It can move its legs and skitter along fairly well, but I'm worried it won't be able to properly shed its skin and free its feet. We have it in a terrarium now, to try to keep it safe.
Do you think it will be possible for this lizard to free itself from the sealant remnants, particularly its feet, after shedding its skin? If we were to take the lizard to a vet, would they be able to free its feet, or would they be more likely to euthanize it?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Could you post a Picture of the feet and residue?

Can I have a state where you are located to to find you a list of Herp Vets?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, Joan! I am in Southern California in the city of Burbank. I've added some pictures I just took this morning. The lizard seems to be moving around rather well, and has been burrowing in the leaves and moist substrate in its terrarium.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Thank-you usually it takes some special oils as a solvent to dissolve the sealer. It may come off wit the shed when the Lizard. We can try to see if we can loosen it up. We can use some mineral oli on on bad area and see if it helps loosen the residue. Once this is done gently massage it in and see if it comes off. After the oil make sure that you wash the leg off with warm water. If that does not do it, then a Herp Vet visit will be needed. They may have a solvent or possibly have a some grinder that can remove it without injuring the Lizard. You did a great job rescuing him. He does need a UVB light for health if you are planing on keeping him. With his food he needs a calcium supplement dusted on his prey. This a a Link For So Ca Herp Vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

This particular Vet is located in Burbank

David Weule
Rainbow Vet Hospital*****br />Burbank CA 91504(###) ###-####/p>

I am hoping we can get the sealer off. What I most fear if we do not it can constrict and cause lack of circulation, so we do need to try to either get it off, or have the Vet remove it asap. Please hit reply for any concerns or questions.

Joan