Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

We have had our Beardie (Oliver) for 2 months and we think

Customer Question

Hi Anna. We have had our Beardie (Oliver) for 2 months and we think he or she is around 4-5 months. Yesterday he was out the tank and suddenly became inactive and sleeping and we thought he may be dead. We gave him a warm bath and placed him back in the tank and he started to respond. Now he is fine, eating and moving around like normal. I just want to know what could have caused this and whether it is ok to take him out the tank? He she is usually a very sociable reptile and has been OK other than this. Paul
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hello Paul. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delayed response. I was not online at the time you posted your question, and am not sure of why I was shown as being on.I suspect that Oliver got cold while he was out of the tank. Room temperature is not warm enough for a bearded dragon. If they are out for more than 30 minutes, they can get chilled. Depending on the temperature, it can happen sooner. The area under the basking light should be 105*F to 110*F. The coolest part of the cage should be 85*-90*F. Lack of warmth is the main reason a beardie will become totally lethargic like this. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Oliver will thrive for you.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?

Anna