Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Our beardie is about 6 months old or so. He has been in

Customer Question

Our beardie is about 6 months old or so. He has been in brumation for almost 2 weeks but needed a bath so I got him out to soak him in warm water. Well he had a bowel movement in the process. (Never opened his eyes the whole time either) I noticed that there was some blood in his stool. What could be wrong?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bear's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is a bearded dragon lizard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about baby?
Customer: We feed him crickets with calcium powder on them, gut loaded super worms, wax worms, bearded dragon pellets, and fresh kale. He is in a 40 gallon tank with 3 lights. They are all on a timer. His UVB and a 100 watt basking light come on at 6 am and go off at 8 pm. His ultraviolet light kicks on then from 8 pm to 6 am. He is normally very active but his basking light burned out and in the process of replacing it (took about 4 hours to get home from work and pick it up) he went into brumation. We are really worried. I hope we have not done something wrong.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Bearded Dragons.

Are you sure on age?

Substrate type?

UVB light strength, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, and brand?

Diet Veggies?

Have you had a fecal done?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His age should be pretty close, we bought him at a local pet store as a baby. The substrate we are using is a reptile mat. His basking light is brand new, his UVB light is 3 months old and the strength of it is whatever was recommended by the pet store owner. I try to keep fresh veggies in his cage but he doesn't really mess with it much. Fresh Kale is what I use though. No fecal test done as of yet because we just discovered it tonight. We live in West Virginia
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

This situation is very unusual. We do not see Brumation in Dragons under a Yer old, so with that being said I am very concerned. Seeing blood in the stool sends up red flags. It could be a parasite issue which is a common problem in Dragons. They do carry a normal parasite level in the gut but we can see this blow up and then see issues.

As far as Diet Super worms and meal worms are on the do not feed list for Dragons. They are high in chitin and also fat. This over time can cause liver issues. The recommend prey is crickets, dubia roaches, silk worm, and Pheonix worms. The Kale is not a staple since it binds calcium. This is a nutrition list for veggies: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I feel the blood you have seen warrants a Herp Vet visit. This is a list of Herp Vets in WV:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/westva.html

On the UVB light we do see the wrong bulb being sold. Please double check to be sure it is a Reptisun 10.0 and I prefer a linear tube because the compact could can cause eye problems called Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis.

My goal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating. Please hit reply for conerns about the information supplied.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Checking in on your Dragon. If you have any concerns on the information supplied please hit reply.

Joan