Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Her one eye is seeping. I put her in tub and clean it. It is

Customer Question

her one eye is seeping. I put her in tub and clean it. It is ok for about a day or two and starts again. It looks as if it is hindering her sight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Lizzy and I don't know her age. My granddaughter got her from a friend and my grandaughter has moved to Florida and I inheritted Lizzy. My granddaughter had her 50 gal aquarium lined with green sand and when I noticed her eye had sand in it and was seeping, I took out the sand and purchased a green liner from Petco. What should I do?
JA: How old is Lizzy?
Customer: I don't know. From heed to back legs she is about 7 to 8 inches. Tail is about 10 or so inches
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Pardon but what does the foot have to do with her eye. I don't think anything is wrong with her foot
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lizzy?
Customer: I have to hand feed her her vegetables she does eat crickets and meal worms on her own. I am 73 and an animal lover but this is new to me. I have 2 little Yorkies who are spoiled rotten but I am sort of afraid of Lizzy
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Dragons for 40 years. Please forgive the Virtual assistant. It is automated. I need to ask a few questions to best assist you.

Can you tell me about the UVB light. Is it a Linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet prey/Veggies?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Linear tube don't know other info about this light . Basking light is aNational geographic. Crickets meal worms and super worms. Kale, romain lettuce, collard greens. Veggies I have to hand feed her.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

Thank-you! The Phone call did not go through, but I can continue with you here. The eye issue may be a corneal abrasion and infection. This most likely was from the sand you removed. Sand can cause intestinal impactions skin issues and corneal abrasions. The eye can be treated by using some Plain Sterile Saline to rinse the eye out. Once that is done there is an over the counter ointment you can order on line called Terramycin. You can order it here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

If this does not work to help resolve the eye issue, then a Herp Vet visit is advised to have the Dragon seen and have them stain the eye to see what is going on and treat it with a stronger medication that will get better results. If you supply a State I can locate a Herp Vet for you.

Joan