Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon won't open her left eye. Her right eye is

Hello, My bearded dragon won't open her left eye. Her right eye is fine, but her left eye is shut. Although, she opened the left eye slightly and closed it again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about a year and a half.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?
Customer: Her eyes were fine this morning. When I got home, she ate her food and pooped. But won't open her eye.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ year with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about your set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in Basking area, ambient temps, and cool side?

State to locate a Herp Vet.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Joan,I have attached a picture of the setup. Except, in the picture, it shows moss - I changed the substrate to artificial turf. The cage is 34" tall X 23" X 24".I use a heat lamp, and UVB bulb. The UVB is 75 watt Zoo Med, and I bought it about 2 months ago.In the bottom of the cage it is about 60 to 75 degrees, and in the top, it can range from 80 to 95 degrees depending on the season.Adriana

Thank--you. I must first say you have a beautiful set up. I do believe you do not have a UVB bulb. UVB does not come in wattage, it comes in 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0 and mercury basking bulbs come in 125 watt and 150 watt. Which brings me to the fact I believe you are using only a full spectrum basking bulb which is not UVB. I suggest the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. Your tank is a bit small for the Dragon. It should be a 40 gallon breeder because they do need a lot of floor space. I dowant to add your temps are a bit off the basking area should be 105-110, the ambient temps in the mid 90's and the cool side in the 80's. With this being said, we need to address the eye.

The eye issue may be a corneal abrasion and infection. This most likely was from the moss you removed. Loose substrates can cause intestinal impactions skin issues and corneal abrasions. The eye can be treated by using some Plain Sterile Saline to rinse the eye out. Once that is done there is an over the counter ointment you can order on line called Terramycin. You can order it here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

If this does not work to help resolve the eye issue, then a Herp Vet visit is advised to have the Dragon seen and have them stain the eye to see what is going on and treat it with a stronger medication that will get better results. If you supply a State I can locate a Herp Vet for you.

Joan

1

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it for Lilly. I will get the new lamp and try the saline soliton with the ointment. I checked on Lilly at lunch time and she is opening the eye, just not fully.I will see about another cage; they were just having a sale at Petco. Lilly is in the cage when I am at work; when I'm home she is allowed to run around and I take her out side to get natural sun.I am in California.Adriana

This is the link for Ca Herp Vets:

No http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html

So http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

Please let me know how Lilly is doing after the Herp Vet visit. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated by the site for time and answers.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Joan,I changed the light bulb to a 10.0 and the brand is zoo zilla. I also purchased an eye wash solution from CVS and that has seemed to help tremendously. I am still waiting for the ointment to arrive. Lilly is opening her eye more today.

Great as long as we see some improvement hopefully the terramycin will clear it entirely.

Joan

Hi Adriana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan