Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Our leopard gecko is 8 years old (female?) Her tail is very

Customer Question

Our leopard gecko is 8 years old (female?)
Her tail is very thin and skin is loose.
This has been a month now and she is not eating as she used to.
She was a very hearty eater up to a few days ago.
Should she go to a vet, change her diet (Calcium/droppers) or will she live much longer.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Temps in enclosure?

Passing stool?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

I just had a coll about a rescue. I will be away from the computer, but as soon as I get back will look for your response and be happy to assist you. Please respond to the questions so I have the information I have to help.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
We have two leopard geckos in the same cage that's 18 x 18. Temperature is at about 82° with a surface heater underneath the tank. Crickets and freshwater given every day. Older Email gecko eight years old younger gecko two years old.
The older gecko was passing stools no problem but in the last week has stopped eating. But was very hearty in eating as soon as crickets were put into the tech.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 days ago.

Thank-you. There are a couple of possibilities going on with the Gecko. the Fist is a Parasite issue. This could cause the lack of appetite, weight loss and the issues you are seeing. Parasites can com in feeders and you would never know until the Gecko was ill like you are seeing now. Next issues could be an impaction. You did not say if you were using a sand or loose substrate. This is a very common with loose substrates. the last is is Cryptovirus which is a wasting diease. I all these cases the Gecko needs to see a Herp Vet asap. I can locate some with a State location.

In the mean time we need to start some first aid. Please give a warm soak in a shallow bowl in a 50/50 warm water and pedialyte soak. Once this is done mix some chicken baby food stage 1 with some calcium and drop on the snout and allow the Geck to lick it off. This way we are getting some nutrition going in.

I will locate a Herp Vets as soon as I get the State.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 day ago.

Checking in on your leopard gecko. Have you had the Geco seen by the Herp Vet? Please let me k ow how it is doing.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 day ago.
Hi Scott,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cutie. How is everything going?