Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Having an issue with 4yr old beardie, eyes are glues closed

having an issue with 4yr old beardie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bear?
Customer: eyes are glues closed daily. swaped bulds for 10. uvb 160w to make sure temp is over 90 every day and 70 at niht
JA: What is the bear's name?
Customer: rex
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about rex?
Customer: we fed the critical care for a couple months and he did pick up a little weight but no enough. i want something to to treat for infection

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile Rescue.

Can you post a Picture of what you seeing?

Can you tell me about her habitat?

Temps in basking area, ambient and cool side?

Do you use an Under the tank Heater?

UVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand or Mercury Vapor Bulb?

Basking light?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can you post a Picture of what you seeing? no just washed all the crust off, think pink eye for peopleCan you tell me about her habitat? 4' x 2' x 2'Temps in basking area, ambient and cool side? 95/70 day, 70 nightDo you use an Under the tank Heater? noSubstrate? paper towelsUVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand or Mercury Vapor Bulb? 10.0 uvb 160WBasking light? yes see aboveDiet? mostly veggies with emp on chard/spinach, dusted crikets, super wormsSupplements? dustState to locate a Herp Vet? va

Thank-you. You have a few husbandry issues that need to be resolved. The UVB light does not give off much heat so you need a Basking bulb beside the UVB light. The temps are still too low. The basking area should be 105*-110*, the ambient temps in the mid 90's and the cool side should be mid 80's.

The diet also needs improvement Spinach is not a staple Veggie. Spinach and Kale can bind calcium so they are only occassional veggies. The prey should not include Meal worms or supper worms. The meal worms and supper worms are too high in chitin as well as fat and over time can cause liver damage. Suggested prey should be crickets, dubia roaches, silk worms and phoenix worms. you should dust with clacium 5 days a week and 2 days a week with a Vitamin.

Now for the eye you can use warm compresses, and try some plain saline eye drops to flush the eyes. There is a medication called terramycin that can be gotten at this link:

If the terramycin does not work than a Herp Vet visit will be needed. You can see this list of Herp Vets here:

Please hit reply for further help. My gola is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating so I can be compensated by the site for my answers.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok ordered meds, and printing instructions. will check back tomorrow when i have it all in place

Great! The Terramycin is a good general antibiotic for the eyes, but if there is a corneal abrasion or a more serious infection, then the Herp Vet will be needed for a Hands on exam. Even if you rate my service today, you can come back at any time for follow up with this issue. In the mean time use some plain sterile saline to keep the debris out of the eyes.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
when it gets here, how do i apply? do i have to get it into the eye itself, or rubbing on lids does it? i rinsed again to uncrust again this am and within an hour they started to glue closed again. Will be a little frustrated if it is an infection. i wanted to treat both diet/tank and for infection and my vet said just do tank stuff. It doesn't hurt to treat for infection if there isn't one, correct? i ask because he is in such dire need.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
oh yea, I also got new food - all green from the nutrition list - lowered the lights to get the tank temp up to 105. Also got a few wax worms as a quick shot at fatty food for a little energy and crickets.

You need to get the Terramycin in the eyes. It will not hurt. If your Vet is not a Herp Vet I can locate some Herp Vets for you with a State. I would use the saline in the eyes for now to help until you get the Terramycin. I have never heart of treating a tank and not the infection. As I said if the Terramycin and it does not clear the infection, then I would have the Dragon seen. The Vet will stain the eye and check for corneal abrasions and culture the discharge to get the proper antibiotic that will work. Please supply a state for Herp Vets. If I have addressed your concers, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
are there any videos out there showing how to put the ointment in his eyes? i saw a couple of videos with other lizards. they did it by turning the lizard on it's side and the lizard opened it's eyes. but those were drops. dont want to get the ointment tube anywhere near his eyes.

It is best with two people one to hold the Dragon and one to apply the ointment. I do not have any videos on this. The one holding can gently pull up the lid while the other person squeezes out the ointment. The best way is to do what works the best for you and is easiest way to handle the Dragon.

Hi Trip,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?