Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

He looks like hes dead. Last night I found him on his back

he looks like hes dead. Last night I found him on his back and when I went to move him he had some lethargic movements. and if i blew on him he opened his mouth. now today his eyes are slightly open and I can open his mouth but he wont
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: his name is***** am not sure of his age the pet store said he was juvenile
JA: How old is Rexy?
Customer: we have had him since July and he has shedded 3 times. Up until about 4 days ago he was eating his crickets and moving around then he stopped chasing the crickets and just be still on the log
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rexy?
Customer: his stomach is soft and mushy he looks normal color. he is not cold to touch .

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and I have worked with Dragons over 40 years.

I need to ask some questions to best assist you.

What type of Reptile?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Temps in basking area, ambient temps and cool side?

How measured?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Joan,He is a bearded dragon
50 gallon tank
With terrain mat
All things living is the brand of lights used
He ate calcium covered crickets
75/ 90-100
Measured by thermometer in tank
He had a white and green last night

Can you give me detail on you lights? UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Uvb and basking 24w and 100w
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The non heat one is coil style

Thank you, ***** ***** know if the coil is a 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0 and how old is it ?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know about the size it's about 4 months old

First think I need to tell you is the All living things lights are dangerous and I suggest they be replaced There have been reports of the lights exploding and hurting the Dragons.

The Dragon is showing signs of MBD. This is usually because of calcium not being metabolized in the body. WE call this problem MBD Metabolic Bone Disease. You can read more about MBD here:

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

The UVB bulb I suggest is a Reptisin 10.0 linear tube that runs the length of the tank to supply adequate UVB rays. The Dragon will need to see a Herp Vet and I can locate some with a State.

In the mean time I would like to start some first aid by doing a thereputic soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water add a pinch of calcium to it. Make it a shallow soak to rehydrate him. You will need to support him in the soak. He should perk up and respond to the soak. For feeding we can use some chicken baby food mixed with calcium and drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off.

As soon as you supply a State I will locate the Herp Vets for you.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NEBRASKA

These are the Herp Vest in Nebraska: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/nebraska.html

I am hoping the first aid will help perk him up, but he does need to be seen by a Herp Vet as soon as reasonably possible. Many of the Dragons coming out of Pet Shops have multiple issues and they are stoic so you do not see then until it is late into the illness. I usually recomend the Dragon be seen soon after purchase. I would look into changing the bulbs as well.

Joan

These are the Herp Vets in Nebraska: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/nebraska.html

Joan

Checking in on Rexy today to see if he is doing any better today. Please let me know if he perked up at all.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is dead
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank nou for checking on hi m though

I am so sorry. I knew he was in bad shape but unfortunately there is little that can be done at home when they are that ill They hide illness well until they can no longer hide it. Unfortunately we see Dragons coming out of pet shops with parasites and if not checked immediately they progress and the Dragon becomes increasing ill.

I hope the information I supplied was helpful in trying to save him. My goal was to give you excellent service and earn a 5 star rating.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan