Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

She is a chinese water dragon and for a while now she keeps

Customer Question

She is a chinese water dragon and for a while now she keeps opening her mouth it looks like she is breathing through mouth she's not eating I've been feeding her the a syringe
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is two years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Polly?
Customer: She is moving and swimming
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. When a lizard is open mouthing breathing it is typically a sign of a respiratory infection. You will initially see signs of stomatitis (inflammation in the mouth) like mucous or inflamed membranes. That infection in the mouth can then easily get down into their lungs and cause an infection. If you are having to feed her by a syringe and she is open mouth breathing, then she really needs to see a local veterinarian for an evaluation and probably some antibiotics. Infections are very treatable if caught early. You want to make sure that the temperatures are set properly and that the cage is cleaned out routinely. Do you have a veterinarian who will see reptiles? Any bubbling from her nose or obvious mucous in her mouth? If you post where you are located I can help you find a reptile veterinarian, if you don't know one already.