Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a 10+ year old terrapin. His body is bloated and he

Customer Question

I have a 10+ year old terrapin. His body is bloated and he seems to have a loss of mobility in his back legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. There is no wound.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the terrapin's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is over 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: Yes. His tank needed a new filter so we placed him in a plastic container with water until we could get one. That container had no filter or light. We tried to keep water as clean as possible but he put out a lot of waste at times. He was in that container for a few weeks. We just got a new filter and put him in the container with a uv light. He's been doing a lot of basking these past few days. He also seems a little weak. We bought feeder fish, but he won't eat them. He does eat his regular floating food. When he goes in the water, he drags himself around by his front legs with his shell touching the bottom of the tank. If you touch his legs, he does draw them in.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What kind of terrapin is this - slider, painted, mud, side neck, etc.?What are the temperatures under the basking light and in the water?What brand of UVB light do you have?Does he get a calcium supplement?How often is he fed? Does he get fish often?What is your zip code, so I can find a vet?Thank you.