Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon is 3 years old ..his beard has been black

Customer Question

My bearded dragon is 3 years old ..his beard has been black for 2 days and he's not wanting to eat and he seems weak what's wrong with him please help
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Basking light?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Passing stool?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We live in Florida...his bulbs were just replaced we keep it at 95-100 during the day or 12 hours and 75 at night he also has a UV light he's passing stool he eats veggies, horn worms and meal worms
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cool side is 75 warm side is 95-105
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you.

What type of substrate are you using?

What is the Strength on the UVB bu;b, is it a linear tube or compact coil and strength?

Joan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Strength is 10.0 uvb
Brand is zoo med it's a tube bulb
And we use the grass like liner from zoo med
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

Thank-you! I too am in Fl and hope the storm did not affect you. This sounds like there may be a pasasite is or an infection going on. Dragons are stoic, and hide illness, since they can become eay prey for larger animals if they show illness. With tis being said I have to suggest a Herp Vet visit. This is a link for Herp Vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html

With this being said, I want to start some first aid. Please set up a soak using 50/50 warm water heated to 90* and Pedialyte. This soak is thereputic and should help hydrate and offer electrolytes. Next we can try some baby food chicken and green beans mixed and add a pinch of calcium and drop on the snout and see if we can get the Dragon to lick it off. This is our best chance to get some food going in. Please bump the over night temps up to mid 80's* Please hit reply if you have any questions about what we can do tonight. My Goal is to assist you and your Dragon. I strive for excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating from you tonight.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

Were aboe to have the Dragon seen? Please let me know how the Dragon is doing.

Joan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He passed away before I got him to the vet today
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

I am so sorry I knew he was bad that is why the urgency for a Vet visit. It is always had to have a loss like this. My goal was to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating. I hope I delivered that in trying to save your Dragon.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jessica Shyer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessica Shyer. How is everything going?

Joan