Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Our 5 week old baby bearded dragon has not been eating

Customer Question

Our 5 week old baby bearded dragon has not been eating during his shed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the baby's name?
Customer: Mystery. We have been giving him vetark critical care formula worked out for his weight, and yesterday he ate a mealworm. He seemed listless today and lay in the corner on the hot side. We have given him a bath, as he seemed to be passing a dry poop which was yellow at the end.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Mystery will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mystery?
Customer: He's only 5/6 weeks old. We have just given him some more formula and he seems to have picked up a little. We are going to syringe feed him some water later on as I think dehydration might be the problem as he is relying on us to syringe feed him but won't eat normally.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

It is not unusual for a beardie to not eat for a short time during a shed. What is concerning is that he seemed to become weak. You are right to do the warm water soaks (many times they will drink when in the bath) to aid in shedding. You can use Zilla appetite stimulant to help perk him up and increase his intake. This can be ordered on Amazon and I have used it with success with sick beardies. Make sure that you have his terrarium set up with the right temperature ranges. No less than 75 on the cool side and about 90 on the warm side. He should have a basking spot that is at 100. You want to use a point of use thermometer and not just a thermometer that is attached to terrarium wall. You can get submersible aquarium/terrarium thermometers at most pet stores to help spot check temperatures in the cage. You should also take a fresh fecal sample in to your local veterinarian for evaluation. Please ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my response. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating. Take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sadly he died two hours later.
I've talked to a friend who is a breeder, who told me 3 out of his last breeding clutch died the same way.
His conditions were perfect yet he still died before we could get him to a vet.
My friend said that with hatchling rates being very high in captivity, we sometimes forget that in the wild this thing happens in nature and that it is just painful in captivity as us humans get attached to these beautiful little reptiles.

I am so sorry. They are such engaging lizards. I hope you are able to share your home and heart with another one in the future. Take care.