Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My bearded dragon, who we purchased through PetsMart April

Customer Question

My bearded dragon, who we purchased through PetsMart April of 2016, he is very lethargic, the sclera around his eyes is rust colored, and the membranes over their ear canals seems waxy and ... it just doesn't look healthy? He is starting to shed we believe, but he's never looked like this before.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is in a 65-gallon tank, about 18-19' long, no deformities, and we recently switched from a green carpet flooring to a calcium sand substrate. We believed he was big enough to move to the Ca++/sand substrate after consideration for obstruction but believed he would benefit from the supplemental calcium after we observed that he was very accurate when striking for crickets., and was therefore a low risk for consuming large amounts of sand.He is currently on a mixed diet of kale, collards, crickets, occasional fruit such as strawberries, cherries, banana, and even more infrequently, dried vegetables/crickets/mealworms mixtures.I personally feel bad for the little dude, and at least want to provide good nutrition for him and to not be miserable. How can I treat him and make his life better?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We also supplement his vegetable intake with carrots and red cabbage. Usually we give him a lot more veggies such as kale and collards, limiting fruit to a small amount per week. When we feed him by hand he normally does not hesitate at all to eat. I know that when Bearded Dragons are shedding they tend to be "sluggish" but he does not really seem to have an desire to eat much here lately and I have noticed that his food plate seems to go untouched. Also he use to have a bowl movement everyday. He only seems to be going maybe once a week for about a month. Lately I have been giving him a warm bath (about once a week) making sure that they temperature does not reach above 95 to help with his digestion, he normally will always have a bowl movement when this is done.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

How long has Falcor been like this?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and one the cool side of the tank?

What brand of UVB light do you have? Did you buy it at the same time you bought Falcor?

Do you dust the prey insects with calcium powder?

Thank you.

Anna