Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have an African fat tail gecko and her left eye won't

Customer Question

Hello I have an African fat tail gecko and her left eye won't open
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the gecko's name and age?
Customer: Link and she's a baby about 3 months old Kink *
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Link?
Customer: I just got her at a reptile convention her tail seems a bit think for an AFT other than that I'm using the Eco earth substrate and maybe some got in her eye in not too sure
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm worried it might be an attack from the crickets or an infection
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interst in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me aboy the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Heat source?

Temps?

Substrate?

State to locate Vet?

Can you post a Picture of the eye?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
10 gallon tank she eats crickets dusted and non dusted. I use repti calcium with d3. There's a heating pad under the tank which keeps it around 80F on the cooler side it stays in the mid 70s. I use Eco earth coconut fiber substrate to hold humidity. I must the cage 3x a day typically. We live in Fairfield, ca
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She just opened her eye now I'm extremely worried
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Please remove the eco earth that is dangerous, as any loose substrate can be ingested and cause a blockage. I suggest only paper. cage carpet, or tile.

I liiked at the eye and It looks like retained eye shed. If I am correct the Herp Vet will have to remove the retained shed and the eye should be back to normal. You can use a sterile saline eye drops to help lubricate it. I would also have a fecal done to rule out parasites.

I would bump the temps up between 82-86 which is normal for a Fat tail Gecko.

Lastly you can make a humidity chamber. The are desert dwellers and do not need the humidity that comes from the eco earth. Use a margarine container and add a moist paper towel in the lid and cut a hole in the side for an entrance.

This is a link for Ca Herp Vets;

No: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html

So: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

My goal is to give you Excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating so I can be compensated by the site.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I will definitely remove the experts and use paper towels in the meantime. However, she hasn't aged yet so I don't think that's the problem
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Retained she could have been fron previous sheds. in 3 months, she had to shed, but this could also be some eco earth that has affected the eye. It is wise to be seen since I can see what looks like something on the globe of the eye.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan