Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

Our @ 6-month-old bearded dragon has an area near his right

Customer Question

Our @ 6-month-old bearded dragon has an area near his right front arm that does not look right. He has shed (in stages) multiple times since we got him at 8 weeks, as expected, but this area seemed to have an 'overgrowth' and eventually when it did shed, the skin underneath looks 'too thin'. The pieces I found after that area shed were very thick and seemed overly moist (again not really like skin but more like a 'growth'). I fear that he has some kind of fungus.
Please advise if there is some way I can send in a picture....
He still eats and seems active/alert, and is eliminating at least every couple of days. His diet consists of romaine, kale, apples, carrots, live crickets, as well as freeze-dried crickets and mealworms. We dust the food with calcium powder and occasionally with the repti-vite powder.
Any advise you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 26 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptile s and Reptile Rescue.

You can use the Paper clip icon in the tool bar to post a picture.

Do you have a UVB light, age of bulb, strength, brand, linear tube or compact coil?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Your Diet needs some improvement and will go over that in my answer, after you answer the questions,

I will be off line for about an hour or two as we prepare for possible hurricane. I will check back shortly to check for your responses.