Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I rescue iguanas and I have two, my baby iguana recently

Customer Question

Hi , I rescue iguanas and I have two, my baby iguana recently started keeping her eye shut and now when she opens it, it's very cloudy almost like a gluey white stuff over her eye ball? I took her to the vet and the vet said she is probably going to loose her eye sight and gave me some eye drops to help with the infection. Within a day or so the other eye now is starting to be the same way? Please help me! I'm rinsing it out with warm water I'm using these eye drops, she has her heat light and a uva and uvb light I just put her in a 20 gal tank, humidity is at 80%- heat is at 90, she was originaly in a wire cage when I rescued her, could she have some rust in her eye? If so how do I flush her eyes? I don't want her to go blind in both eyes and I don't want to keep waiting to see what happens, it could be too late.....
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 25 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile rescue. I am sorry for the wait, but I just got the question.

Can you tell me was the Vet you had seen a reptile specialist?

What medication did the Vet give?

Can you tell me what type of UVB light you are using, the strength, age of bulb, and brand?

Do you bathe the Iggy?

Is she taking any oral Medication?

Did the Vet do a culture?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No I don't think she was a specialist, but she is the one of the only vets in my area that sees reptiles and won't cost me an arm and a leg. The eye drops are called ciprofloxacin. 2-3 times a day for 14 days. 15 Watt t8- bp tropical 25 only for reptiles? This is just what I see on the bulb , the spca gave it to me and said it was both, the other side of the bulb says a 24/15, I do not bathe with her she is still very small so I put her in the sink, no oral meds and she looked her over but I don't know what a culture is.... Blood work? If so then no.
Expert:  Joan replied 24 days ago.

Thank-you I am working on an answer for you.

Expert:  Joan replied 24 days ago.

I can assist you in finding a reptile specialist if you supply a State. Cipro is ok, but may not be the right antibiotic and may need a oral medication as well as a medication for in the eyes. A culture is where they take some of what you describe as goop and culture it and see what medications is needed to treat it. They should have also stained the yes to see if there is an injury or a corneal abrasion. If you do not know what you are dealing with whether an infection or injury. With this being said , I do believe you need to have someone see the Iggy who is experienced with them and their eyes.

We need to start flushing the eyes with a sterile saline eye drop 3 times a day before using the other Drops. You can also try some terramycin for the eyes . I is commonly used in Reptiles and can be gotten here: This is an antibiotic and antimicrobial as well as an ointment to stay in the eye, where the drops run out.

The iggy needs regular soaks to make sure it stays hydrated. They do better in a wire cage since they are prone to getting fungal and respiratory infections in tanks. As far as the UVB it only gives UVB rays. The bulb is only good for 6 months and they it will give light but no UVB. I suggest the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. Make sure you are using a good plain calcium supplement on the Veggies.

Iguanas eye problems can be a sign of kidney issues, i do not believe this is the case here, but you need to be aware of it. This is why it is so important to be sure your iggy is properly diagnosed and sees a Herp Vet.

If you supply a State I can locate some for you.

Expert:  Joan replied 22 days ago.
Hi Brittney,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?