Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I just read My bearded dragon has a black beard, his body is

Customer Question

I just read My bearded dragon has a black beard, his body is turning black Resolved Question: My bearded dragon has a black beard, his body is turning black, and his tip tail is black. He is very lethargic and sleepy and doesn't seem to be able to hold onto anything. Help, I am worried! This describes my bearded dragon We noticed it Sunday (yesterday). He is actually not moving much now and his eyes have not moved. His stomach looks sunken in. He is limp. I'm afraid he is dead. If his belly is that sunken in I don't know that he is breathing
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile rescue. Did you still need help?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I submitted my problem and paid my fee
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

It said resolved so I asked. Please can you tell me what is going on with the Dragon?

How long has he been like this?

Has he been eating?

Diet prey/Veggies?

Substrate in tank?

Supplements?

UVB light, linear bulb or compact coil, strength, brand and age?

Basking light?

Temps in Basking area, ambient temp nad cool side?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I read what you posted, but need the answers to the questions I ask to best assist you

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Porcelain light bulb.
I don't think he has really eaten since Thursday. We turn is light off at night and leave it on during the day. I forgot to turn his light on Saturday. So he did not have his light on Friday night, all day Saturday and then I turned it on Sunday.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

You only have one light? You you do not have a UVB bulb and a separate basking bulb?

What is the bedding you use?

Diet prey/veggies?

Any supplements?

Temperature in the Basking area, the ambient temps and cool side?

The porcelain bub does it give light?

These are important factors that affect a Dragon.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I am going off line for the night, so I will be opting out and opening this for other experts to assist you.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is 5 months old. He doesn't really eat veggies. We keep water in his aquarium. We have one bulb that screws in the a wire light. The pet store recommended it. I believe does have UVB. Supplements used are calcium. We put the crickets in calcium powder. We purchased him when he was 3 months old. He has always been fast and active. Because of this we haven't taken him out of his habitat much. After talking to my girls we noticed the beardie wasn't as active and assumed that he had finally gotten use to us. This was about 1 or 2 weeks ago when the behavior was noticeable. The color change started Saturday. The temperature on the floor of his aquarium stays between 80-90. As far as bedding we have a felt floor, a log, a rock, a log that he can craw under..
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

1) Can you share a link to the bulbs you're using so that I may look at their specifications?
2) What is the temp on the cool side of the habitat and the hot spot?
3) How often are crickets fed? How often are they dusted?
4) Is he still eating well?
5) In what state do you reside?
6) What fruits/veggies are being offered and in what manner? Are they shredded chopped?
7) Can you post a picture of he and his habitat?