Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

He lost his tail before we bought him. He was eating about 1

Customer Question

He lost his tail before we bought him. He was eating about 1 mealworms a day. Now he's super thin and throws the food up. Also eyes closed a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the mealworm eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. We keep them in the fridge
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the mealworm's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** have no idea on age
JA: How old is explorer?
Customer: I have no idea
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about explorer?
Customer: Not sure. I know my daughter has tried to dust the meal worms with the calcium but she says it falls off
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me what type of Reptile was are speaking about?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Temps in enclosure?

Have you had a Fecal check done?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed?

Is Explorer passing stool? Is it normal?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Leopard gecko
20 gallon tank
Setup: felted substrate no sand
Temp is 90 degrees
No fecal check done
Georgia (canton, specifically)
Stool is being passed looks normal
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

The tail will regrow, so that is a good thing. The problem with weight loss and the vomiting sounds like a blockage or a parasite issue. I would like to do some first aid to help until Explorer can see a Vet. First we need to give a soak in a shallow 50/50 Pedilayte soak and warm water this will hydrate Explorer. Next to feed try some chicken baby food mixed with calcium Poweder and drop on the snout and allow Explorer to lick it off. When a Leopard gecko stops eating or intake is minimal and throws up if eating there si something serious going on. They are stoic and are usually a meal for other animals so hiding illness is a normal within the reptile kingdom. With this being said I have to recommend a Herp Vet visit for a Fecal check and exam. This is a link for Herp Vets in GA.:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/georgia.html There is a Herp Vet in Canton.

My Goal is to assist you and Explorer. I strive for excellent service and to earn a 5 star Rating from you today. Please hit reply for any concerns.

Joan