Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a bearded dragon in the classroom and I was away

Customer Question

I have a young bearded dragon in the classroom and I was away Friday when they found him totally swarmed with fire ants. They cleaned him off and cleaned the cage but he is still almost unresponsive but has gotten better each day since Friday. He has not moved much and one eye is continuously closed. He will use his limbs and tail when necessary but otherwise they are just frozen in one position. What can I do to help him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Lizzy and it is young and about 7-8 inches long
JA: How old is Lizzy?
Customer: He will drink if you feed it to him with a dropper but its work to get him too
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lizzy?
Customer: No he has no physical signs of bites but I think he swallowed as many as he could and had two bm's yesterday.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the wait. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Red ants carry a Toxin that can kill a Dragon. He really needs to see a Herp Vet for further treatment. I can assist you with some first aid for now. I would like you to give the Dragon a soak in warm water soak. This will help with hydration. If any sores from the bites you will need to treat with Silvadene cream or Neosporin. I would like you to syringe or use the Dropper to give a mix of 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte to drink to keep hydrated. To feed please mix some Baby food Green Beans with Baby food chicken and add some calcium and drop on the snout and allow the Dragon to lick it off.

As I mention the Dragon should see a Herp Vet since we do not know how many bite or toxin was absorbed. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. My goal is to assist you and your Dragon. I strive for excellent Service and to earn a 5 star rating from you today. Please hit reply for concerns and to supply the state.

Joan