Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Yesterday after my softshell ate and swam around it went

Customer Question

Yesterday after my softshell ate and swam around it went inside its shell and has still not emerged this morning. Is there something wrong? Is my turtle dead or sleeping?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30 + years with special interest in Reptile and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me has there been any change in temps?

What type of diet is the turtle on?

Can you take him out to check on him?

Is there any changes in water condition?

Any suppelments given?

Any lighting on the tank?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've taken him out and his head just stays in his shell. There have been no changes in tank or water conditions. I have the heating lamp and the UVB light. I give him turtle pellets and shrimp, and earthworms.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

These turtles can go under and rest as the breathe water the same as fish. Can you pinch a back foot or prod at the tail to see if you get a response from him. It is very unusual to be in the shell they usually lay in wait for prey in a natural habitat, so hearing this is concerning.

Joan