Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My 8 year old bearded dragon is not eating and has become

Customer Question

my 8 year old bearded dragon is not eating and has become lethargic, he is also shedding, I am concerned, should i see a vet or is his life span ending, how can i tell, thank you
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand and age?

Basking light?

Temps in basking are, warm side and cool side?

Diet veggies/prey?

State to locate a HerpVet?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he has had the same environment for 8 years , do you think he is ill or at the end stages of life? what are the signed of dragons dying?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

If the UVB light has not been changed in the last 6 months it may give light but no UVB and can be a part of the problem. Dragons can also pick up parasites from their Prey that is fed and that too can be a factor in what is going on. Dragon live until 11 or 12 years of age. If There is a sand or loose substrate bedding an intestinal impaction can cause the signs you are showing. There are things you can do at home to help the Dragon feel better, and I do suggest a Herp Vet visit. If you answer my questions I can try and make some suggestions as to what may be going on and try to offer some first aid until the Dragon can be seen by a Herp Vet. I can also locate Herp Vets if you supply a State.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we got that much information from google, we may have to see a vet. We thought that we were going to speak to a vet or the herp.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I have been working with Dragons for 40 years and can assist you, but asking questions to see if there is a trigger for what is happening is needed. I can opt out and see if a Vet picks up the question.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that would be awesome, thank you