Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

What is wrong with my chameleon?

Customer Question

what is wrong with my chameleon?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My veiled chameleon has a deflated veil, and is lethargic, not eating, seems very weak, constantly clawing/grabbing her veil, seems that is where most of her pain is. So my diagnosis after doing research was mbd, so i have been giving her liquid calcium supplements in doses recommended by reptile boost, also small pediatric doses of d3. She doesnt seem to be showing any improvements, in fact, the opposite. What is possibly wrong with her exactly? And where do I go from here? Thank you.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptle Rescue.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

What type of calcium supplements are you using?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed?

Do you use an automister or Dripper?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All screen enclosure
Zoomed dual lights that came with enclosure
Flukers calcium and vit d drops
was eating gut loaded crickets
Southern California
Dropper and manual misting
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Could you double check on the light to see if once is a coil bulb and called a Reptisun 5.0?

How old is the bulbs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just changed the uv since it burnt out, the coil bulb is the reprising 5.0
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Great! I like to be sure since many times the sert ups come with the wrong bulbs. You need to be careful giving D3 and calcium. When D3 is metabolized, it is doubled because calcium metabolizes into D3 in the body and can cause a severe reaction and D3 toxicity. It may very well be MBD, but this could be something else since the legs do not seem to be affected only the casque.All seems good with husbandry other than a automister. This guys I find becaome dehydrted without an automister and that may be part of the problem. In a case like this is do suggest a hands on exam with a Fecal and blood work to check the calcium levels. I am going to give you a link for Herp Vets in So Ca: Since you have been treating him with no good results, it is best to have him seen for a Hands on exam. Chameleons are the most fragile of the Reptile world and hide illness well. When they start showing, it can be sometimes too late. My goal is to assist you ad your Chameleon. I strive for excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating from you today. If you have further questions or concerns please hit reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok well what I do know, her casque is swollen and deflated, and seems to be bothering her to the extreme. Is there anything I can do to help remedy her pain? I dont know if it was a fall, MBD, or an infection, I just dont. But i do know she is in much pain, which seems to mainly stem from her head (casque) (veil) not sure what you call that top part of the chameleons head, but this is the major concern.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Casque is what I usually call it. The Herp Vet can give some medication safe for her. Any human medications could make her deathly ill or kill her. I would see if any of the Herp Vets have hours on Sunday, if not then Monday she will have to see the Herp Vet. Most likely they will give you something like Metacam, which would give her some pain relief. Tylenol and Ibuprofen is highly toxic to animals. I wish there was something that I could tell you would help, but we are at a standstill until she has a hands on exam, by the Herp Vet.