Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

Firstly please excuse typos because I do not really know

Customer Question

Hello. firstly please excuse typos because I do not really know English and I used a dictionary to a preoblema a nosy female chameleon. 3 days to stop eating. I had the same problem with the other two species of chameleons all faly nosy. They have not eaten 1 to 2 weeks. I tried to forced two, I put a bug in his mouth and ate it. the 3rd cockroach I saw that I did not swallow and I stayed in the neck. could not swallow him. 2nd day he died. after some time the male has happened exactly the same. hen I now have the same problem. 3 days to stop eating. comes looking at food. He moves his tongue in your mouth but do not eat. even in romania are desperate and nobody knows what I already have and died two chameleons. I would not want to die and it. you may have? what to do? thank you very much. ups I forgot to mention that they did not stay together chameleons sit in glass terrariums. with vents on the front foot is over the top. They bulb heat lamp and UVB. terrarium I spray water 2 times a day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I put two pictures of her.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I understand that your chameleon will not eat. In the pictures, she looks too thin. She needs treatment from a veterinarian. There is one in Romania.

Cabinet Veterinar Mash 2000
Str. Cutitul de Argint nr. 32, sector 4
Phone: (+401)(###) ###-####/p>

Even if the vet is far away, call them. I hope they can help.

Check to make sure your UVB light is not old. It has to be under 6 months old in order to work. If older than that, you need a new one.

I hope you can understand me. Tell me if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I stand in Deva at a distance of 400 km from Bucharest. bevul UVB has only two months. I can do I do now? unfortunately can not get to Bucharest.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

Call the vet in Bucharest. He or she may be able to work by a phone consultation or give you some help by phone.

You can prevent dehydration with a special bath. Buy an electrolyte solution. In the USA, that would be unflavored Pedialyte (made for human infants). There are many brands in other countries. Ask a pharmacist for an electrolyte solution made for sick children. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 electrolyte solution. Soak your chameleon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Chameleons are very fragile. Once they get sick, they almost never get better without a vet's help. You can call any local vet and ask if they will work with the reptile vet by phone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But what may have happened to so and he and the other two?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
I'm afraid there are many possibilities. They may have been too chilly or too hot. There may have been an imbalance of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D in their diets. The humidity might have been too low. They may have already had an illness or parasites when you bought them.I am not sure what you mean by a faly nosy chameleon. If you can tell me what species they were, I could give you more information on care. I believe you had more than one species. Were they veiled, Jacksons, Panther, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The species is the panther. if they had a disease that can disinfect? I have given them and powdered calcium and vitamin supplement them cockroaches. Humidity had enough. It was not cold. really I do not know what may have
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

If they had parasites, a vet would need to prescribe a medication. For bacterial infections, a safe antibiotic, such as Baytril would be needed. There really isn't a way to disinfect once they get sick.

You can check your temperatures to be sure they are correct. For a youngster, the basking area should be about 32*C (90*F). The cool side should be about 24*C (75*F). Adults need slightly warmer temperatures. Here is a good site for care information:

Use the information there to make sure all your conditions are right. Try some different foods. Start giving electrolyte baths. Without a vet's help, this will be all you can do.

Chameleons are often stressed out before they are even sold to new homes. They are very fragile, and can be difficult to keep healthy. I can tell you are doing your best, ***** ***** that just isn't enough. I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think that is a bit down in the mouth inflated. language probably is inflamed. from what I see. exactly as it seemed and others to stop eating before. or it is inflamed or keeps it very front. but I do not know why. so did the others. and that I had to take them 3-4 months before on that. I looked on the website and how we arranged esta well.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
If they are inflamed around the mouth, there is probably infection there. It could be from being bitten by a prey insect, but sometimes infections just happen. If that's what it is, you'll need to get a prescription for an antibiotic. There is no home remedy, though I wish there was.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you could advise me an antibiotic and dosage? to go to a nearby veterinary and to manage it? because they certainly will not know what to give me. and oral or injectable? to know what to say veterinarian.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

It is illegal for anyone to give prescribing information by way of this forum. However, I can give you a site that has the information you need. Baytril is most commonly used, but others may be useful, as well. You can copy the information on this site, or print it out and take it with you to the vet:

I hope this helps.