Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My turtles head hangs andgasping for breath lethargic, 7

Customer Question

My turtles head hangs andgasping for breath lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your turtle. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: 7 months and her name is baby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about baby?
Customer: Can i send a picture
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Baby just lays there does not eat, head hangs like its neck is broke. At times she opens her mouth and gasps a breath of air.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was outside in the pond, i noticed her floating crooked and lethargic, not eating i picked her up and she was freezing cold. I placed her in warmer water
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. From your description, Baby likely has pneumonia. This is not terribly uncommon in turtles and is treated with injectable antibiotics.

I will post a link for you to read and ask additional questions. Give me a moment please

Husbandry issues can predispose sliders to pneumonia. is a wonderful reference for reptiles. Do you have a local veterinarian who sees reptiles. If not, please post your town and state and I will help locate one for you. X-rays are the first step to diagnosing pneumonia. typically treatment involves injectable ceftazidine every 72 hours for 4-5 weeks. Local veterinarian should be able to show you how to administer the injections. Please feel free to ask additional questions. Take care.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please take time to rate my response. You can continue posting for a few days, even after rating. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?