Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

The skin on his front legs is peeling exposing a yellow

Customer Question

The skin on his front legs is peeling exposing a yellow yellow looking skin.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: It is higher up on his legs
JA: What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** he is 20 years old. This is our second year of owning him
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the reptile?
Customer: He has a good appetite and eats twice a day. Wanders out in the grassy yard in the evening and stays out all night. Is exposed to the sprinklers in the morning before coming back to his house.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. What type of reptile and please tell me about his enclosure and his diet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His enclosure is a large plastic bin with a door for going in and out. His diet is lettuce, Kale, carrot, tomato, cantaloupe small bits of strawberry,

What type of reptile?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
desert tortoise

Great. thank you. No tortoise chow?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we tried rabbit pellets ground up and sprinkled over his food but he didn't like it

Okay. So I would be most concerned with a bacterial or fungal dermatitis. Do you have a local vet who could get some blood on him for CBC/chemistry and submit some of the skin for histopathology. These guys can develop sepsis (systemic bacterial infection) and need blood cultures to determine the best antibiotic. Can you post a picture of the lesions? Does he have any discolored areas on his carapace?