Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

Appetite is gone seems to drag legs when trying to move and

Customer Question

Appetite is gone seems to drag legs when trying to move and then will walk normal for a minute
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No visible wound
JA: What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Rex and 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rex?
Customer: Just won't eat and almost looks dead when you. Wake him he barely drags himself and then will walk normal and go back to laying. He doesn't climb onto his rock to bask like normal...stays on floor of cage.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Rex isn't doing well. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What kind of lizard is Rex?What do you feed him? Any supplements?What brand of UVB light do you have?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What substrate do you use on the cage floor?Has Rex been passing any droppings?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning. Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.
Hello again. I would really like to help you and your lizard. Without at least knowing what kind he is, I can't give you a detailed answer. I can tell you that there are two common causes of the symptoms you are seeing. One is severe constipation. That's why I asked if he has been passing droppings. Hardened feces can press on the sciatic nerve, leading to paralysis.The other is Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). That is caused by an imbalance of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D. The most common cause is lack of true UVB light. That's why I asked about lighting types, food, and supplements. MBD can be reversed if treated promptly.If you will provide the information I asked for in my first post, I can give you a much more detailed answer to let you know what you can do to help your lizard. Thank you.Anna