nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in reptile medicine and a love of snakes.
60269376

My bearded dragon ate a piece of philodendron plant what can

Customer Question

My bearded dragon ate a piece of philodendron plant what can I do to neutralize the toxicity
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sylvie?
Customer: What are the signs to look for if there is trouble
Category: Reptile
Expert:  nekovet replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In this situation, since this plant can cause oral irritation and stomach upset, our best option to counter the effects of this plant Sylvie has eaten would be to carefully rinse her mouth and administer activated charcoal. This is available over the counter at most pharmacies. Specifically, we can give a dose of 100 micrograms per 100g of her weight every 8 hours for 24 hours. This can be administered either by loading her food with this or mixing it with water to carefully syringe feed. That way we can bind the toxin and offset any issue for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you answer was adequate and timely.
Expert:  nekovet replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )