Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Kept indoors in an area with 80 plus humidity and a temp

Customer Question

Kept indoors in an area with 80 plus humidity and a temp range of 85 to 95 degrees. No uvb for first 10 weeks, just added uvb. Also been giving 95 degree baths 3 times a week 15 minutes each bath. Feeding greens, veg and tortoise chow. Just added snails for protien once a week. Cant figure out if the lack of uvb caused eyes to close. He isnt eating a bunch so I confined him to a small container now under uvb with food directly in container 6"x6" container. The tortoise table is 4 feet by 3 feet. Using t05 light for uvb. No extra basking light as table is near window. Oh this is a cherryhead 4"
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

I would love to assist you, but need to ask ask some questions.

What type of tortoise or turtle do you have?

What type of greens are you offering?

If a tortoise are you offering grass hays?

Supplements?

Any swelling in the eyes?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cherry head red foot tortoise.
Feeling collard and mustard greens occasionally strawberries and black berries....zucchuni...summer squash. Mazuri tortoise food for protein.
Mulch bed..no grass.sprag moss.coconut hulls
Hasn't opened eyes for a few days...dosnt appear swollen
Calcium. And vitamin d supplements
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Everything sounds great as far as husbandry with the one exception of the UVB light I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube, which is one of the best on the market. The All Living Things bulbs have had a problem exploding and sending shards of glass in the enclosure. I do recommend a basking light for the warm area. They actually need 3 temperature zones. The basking temps can go up to 115 for this breed, mid 80's to 90's for ambient temps and the cool side 80's.

The eyes could be a result of a Vitamin Deficiency, or could be debris in the eyes. You can try some sterile saline eye drops to rise the eyes and see if it helps. You can also use some Terramycin opthalmic ointment and see if that helps. You can order that online here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

If The saline and Terramycin does not help, then a Herp Vet will be need for a more indepth exam. I can locate some for you with a State.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
Hi Vincent,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan