Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

She 60 eggs ten days ago I've been hand feeding and water

Customer Question

She laid 60 eggs ten days ago I've been hand feeding and water today she does not want either she can't move her back end she will move feet haven't seen any poop since she laid her eggs very worried she our baby
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the baby. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the baby?
Customer: She really not lethargy she just does use her back since laying eggs we did take her to vet but was told we knew more than vet had X-ray to make sure no more eggs were in her
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.It's too bad you weren't able to see a reptile vet who could have helped. Some additional information will help me determine the best measures fo you to take.

What kind of reptile is this?

When you say she can't use her back, do you mean her back legs?

What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?

What do you feed? Any supplements?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She s chameleon. She is 9 months old .she only eats crickets and meal worms. Since trip to vet she eats some baby food such as pears starberry and chicken she get calcium at ever feeding and in her water. And when I said hand feed I me hand feed. I put dropper in her gums and then she open her mouth same with worms and crickets her u v light is less then a month old. She sleep on heating pad a night . She does not pick her hind up at all drag her self around by front legs . Tried to climb but get where she can't back up so she falls lays on side until is picked up and moved
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've poked around on her to see if she shows any distress she shows no sign of any. Since the past month I give her warm baths which she enjoys. Her home stays at 89 to 90degrees. She was very social before she laid her eggs loved to beheld and had a window of sunlight to bask in daily . Now she just closes her eyes when u hold her and does want in window I'm just so broken hearted and don't know what to do
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Your chameleon has symptoms of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). It can take years for MBD to progress to the point where it causes symptoms, and once it does, it's very difficult to treat. MBD can result from too little vitamin D, lack of calcium, too much phosphorus, or an imbalance of these and other nutrients. Laying eggs can deplete a female's body of calcium in a hurry.

There are some things you should do if you hope to save your chameleon. One is dust her food with calcium powder. Second, if your climate is mild enough to take her outdoors, carry her out for a supervised sunbath every day. Make sure that UV light actually provides UVB light. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the Finally, you should make an appointment with a reptile vet. The vet can make a certain diagnosis of the problem, which of course is impossible with only an online description. Then, if MBD is present, the damage will have to be assessed, followed by proper treatment.

Here is a directory where you can find a reptile vet:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your chameleon will be able to recover.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you

Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She doing some better she eating on her own some still no luck with using back legs thanks for your help
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
You're welcome.i'm glad to hear she is eating in her own. As far as using her back legs, once you provide adequate calcium and UVB light, it can take weeks before you may see an improvement. I would consider seeing a vet. Vets have access to special forms of calcium that can be gotten into the body quickly. Otherwise, continue to provide everything she needs, and be patient.You can add an additional step. Buy some Pedialyte. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Add a scoop of calcium powder and mix it in. Soak her in a bath like this each day for 20 to 30 minutes. Reptiles can absorb fluids and nutrients through their vents (where droppings pass out) so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.