Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

My tortioses have been together 2 1/2 years and always got

Customer Question

My tortioses have been together 2 1/2 years and always got along great..Today they got into a nasty fight and one flipped they other over. What do I do from here..Should I kep them separated or whatr?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Joey and Runner are having some problems.

You made a good decision when you separated them. Aggression is common in tortoises, especially between two males, but it does occur regardless of the sexes. Most of them will get along as youngsters, but as they get older fights will occur. They can cause serious injuries. It is generally recommended to keep the tortoises in individual enclosures unless you have a very large outdoor home for them. You can read more about tortoise aggression on the following website. It applies to all species, not just Russians.

I know this probably is not what you want to hear, but I believe you deserve honesty. It is best if you keep them separated. If you have more concerns about this, just let me know. I hope it will be easy for you to work out a solution.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you