nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in reptile medicine and a love of snakes.
60269376

My son accidentally dropped a rock from the cage on the

Customer Question

Hi my son accidentally dropped a rock from the cage on the leopards arm. He's still using it but it has a cut and looks little limp. What do you suggest?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the leopard bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. It was just a little and stopped pretty quickly
JA: Phew. What is the leopard's name and age?
Customer: Nolan and I'm sure not sure how old he is
JA: How old is Nolan?
Customer: I'm not sure but probably older than a year or two. We've only had him for 3 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nolan?
Customer: No
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just checked on him and the use of his arm looks weakened. He can move it up but not normally.
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Nolan!

Now I am glad that he does have movement since that reduces the risk of nerve and spinal damage for your lad. Though in regards ***** ***** situation, we'd be concerned that he has severe pain from this trauma but may also have a fracture from the weight of the rock that was dropped. Furthermore, since there is an open wound, we also have the serious risk of infection here. And in that case, we'd really want to have him seen at this stage. You can of course flush the wound with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times daily but we'd want him on antibiotics and pain relief (which there are no safe OTC options). That way we can remove the risk of infection and help reduce inflammation to get him moving more comfortably. Of course, we'd want his vet to also check for any hints of fracture as the presence of the fracture would complicate his situation and worsen his prognosis.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you so much for your advice!
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes with wee Nolan and yourself,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet