Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Can I give mirilax to my tortoise. My vet recommend

Customer Question

Can I give mirilax to my tortoise. My vet recommend Metamucil but I already have mirilax.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

The reason the Vet recommended Metamucil is is a natural fiber from psyllium a plant base versus the Miralax with Miralax contains polyethylene glycol. Polyethlene Glycol or PEG is used in industrial uses to Medicine. The Metamucil is better suited for the tortoise. I would stay with the plant based fiber, since that is a natural food for tortoises. You can also try some Pure Canned Pumpkin not pie filling. It also works well with helping to regulate a tortoise and is another natural food for intestinal health.

My goal is to earn a 5 star rating by giving up to date and accurate information to help with the health of you tortoise.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Checking in to see if you started the Metamucil and how the tortoise is doing. Please let me know how things are going.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
Hi Carolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tommy. How is everything going?

Joan