Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My turtle's penis got bit tonight.. it's still hanging out,

Customer Question

My turtle's penis got bit tonight.. it's still hanging out, and there is a small amount of blood on it.. what can I do for him? I may be able to take him to a vet tomorrow if necessary, but right now it is late and the vet is over an hour away.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Please rinse the area with some streile saline no preservatives. Once that is done you can use some sugar and moisten it with cool water and put on a guaze pad and apply the sugar paste to the turtles Penis. Hold there for 15 mins. The cool sugar paste will help stop any bleeding and also help shrink the swelling and should help the turtle retract the penis. If it does not apply some Neosporin and drydock the turtle for the night. If you need a Herp Vet I can locate some for you with a State.

My goal is to give you the latest up to date information to help you and your turtle. This is basic first aid for this type of injury. I strive to get 5 stars by giveong excellent service. Please hit reply for any questions or concerns.

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

How is the turtle doing? Did the penis retract or did you have to see the Herp Vet?

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ashley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?