Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Today my 2 yr old sulfate (8lbs) made a sound twice and once

Customer Question

Today my 2 yr old sulfate (8lbs) made a sound twice and once tonight it sounds like someone hacking a spit (sorry). He is growing very well, we keep him outside during the day with the high temps in the 90's and we bring him in at night in his terrarium. With the evening temps reaching the low 60's I haven't been turning on his UVB light. Should I be worried? He still has a good appetite and urinates and poos normally.
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hack?
Customer: Nothing coming out, just this load sound that I haven't heard before. I was concerned that me not turning on his UVB light on at night may have caused an infection.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile Rescue.

Is there any open mouth breathing?

How often does he make this sound?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

Any wheezing?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None of the above. He made the sound 3 times today.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Thank-you! I think at ths point we are safe. He is not exhibiting any signs of a respiratory infection whch would be the open mouth breathing, the bubbles from nose or mouth, decreased appetite and lethargy. With that being said, Tortoises can be vocal especially Males in mating season. I would just keep an eye on him for any of the symptoms mentioned. Should they occur, then a Herp Vet visit would be needed to be checked out hands on. If you supply a State, I can locate some for you. My Goal is a 5 star rating and to give you 100% excellent service. Please let me know on the need of a Herp Vet.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

I wanted to check in on your tortoise. How is he doing? Any further noises or problems?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan