Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Our bearded dragon is not eating, has lost weight. He is not

Customer Question

Our bearded dragon is not eating, has lost weight. He is not staying on his basking rock. Temp, ranges from 96 to 100 degrees rest of tank 80 degrees. Feeding consist of crickets (he does like those to much) organic green leaf and superworm. We have tired giving him apple did not like that at all. Very picky eater when he eats. We have been soaking him in warm water, trying to give him liquid vitamins and Pedilyte,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cricket. What is the cricket's name and age?
Customer: My bearded dragon's name is Rudy.
JA: How old is Rudy?
Customer: That we do not know, we have only had him for 1 and a half., he was a rescue from abusive home. And we do not know how old he was then when we got him. He is over 18 inches long so he is an adult.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudy?
Customer: I think I have at the moment thought of really everything.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the tank set up and size?

Substrate?

UVB light, age of bulb, strength, linear tube or compact coil and age?

Basking bulb?

Temps in Basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

How Measured?

Passing stool and urates?

Sate to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We Have internal thermostat in the tank. He has not passed a stool in about a week. The bulb is not even 6 months old, we increased it to 70W. basking area is about 96 tp 100 degrees. ambient is about 80 degrees and cool side 77-75 degrees. I need to double ck the watts on UVB bulb. We use reptile carpet. tank size is over 40gal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help. However, Rudy pasted away in my arms while my husband cleaned his tank. Thank you again