Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I've been keeping a pair of Chameleons months. So far, not

Customer Question

I've been keeping a pair of young Chameleons for two months. So far, not much has gone on. I provide enough humidity, the vivs are at 80 degrees and they always have enough feed crawling around. My jackson started to shed today, and I noticed he is sitting in the light with his eyes closed on a lower level. The internet tells me this is a bad sign. He only did it for a few minutes, is there reason for concern?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Chameleon?
Customer: He is approx 4 month old Jackson Chameleon.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me what type of UVB bulb you are using? Linear tube or compact coil?

Strength, age and brand?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I bought it within the last two weeks. It is a reptisun dessert 10 linear tube.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I might add that he is no longer exhibiting that behavior, and aside from when I remove him from his viv to clean it (he often closes his eyes as a fearful submissive gesture) , it is a completely new behavior. I saw him do it for a few minutes tonight for the first time.
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Chameleons are sensitive to UVB and we usually do not use bigger than a Reptisun 5.0 Bulb. This may be the problem. With Bearded Dragons and other Reptiles the Reptisun 10.0 is perfect. I suspect the Strength of the new 10.0 may be a little too strong for the Chameleon. You may want to try a 5.0 or 8.0 and see if the Chameleon seems better. This goes over UVB for Chameleons:

I also suggest that you have an auto mister going as they do need the humidity with the global eyes.

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?