Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a baby Chinese water dragon and it is going on day 3

Customer Question

I have a baby Chinese water dragon and it is going on day 3 of not eating anything. It ate 7 mealworms on the 15th then one mealworm on the 16th and nothing since
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Chinese will be able to digest that. How old is Chinese?
Customer: 1-2 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chinese?
Customer: no her habitat is set up with heat UVB and a fogger machine for humidity
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your little one is having some problems. Some additional information will be useful.

How long have you had your dragon? Did she come from a pet store?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of her enclosure?

Has she been passing normal droppings?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got it on the 8th of this month. She came from an exotic animal store, I got my 1st water dragon from them about 13 years ago and she was fine. 92 hot and 74 cool, the humidity is between 80 and 90 degrees. She has been passing normal droppings. It acts normal I can put it on my shoulder and it seems not to be afraid of me. I have tried horn worms, chopped up night crawlers, duba roaches, and crickets. When I put food in front of it all it will do is close its eyes.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I apologize for the delay - I was offline at the time you posted, and just logged on. You haven't had your dragon for very long yet. I suspect she may have been coming down with something at the time you bought her.

Your temperatures are good.

I’ll give you a first aid measure.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

after a couple of soaks, you can try feeding her. Get some plain meat baby food. Drop a small dollop right on the end of her snout. Many times reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If she does, you can feed her that way until you can have a vet examine her.

It's always a good idea to have a reptile vet check over any new lizard shortly after purchase. Lizards are often transported in crowded, dirty conditions, and end up sick or infested with parasites. It's even more important to have an initial exam when symptoms, like appetite loss crop up. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I'm also going to give you a link to a site written by one of the foremost authorities on water dragons. It’s really like a whole book on water dragons. I highly recommend it as a source of information.

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/dragoncr.htm

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your dragon will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking to see how things are going. Did the soaks help?

Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna