PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 years experience in veterinary medicine, special interest in reptiles and arachnids.
8538164

I believe my turtle is dead and I 't know what to do. He

Customer Question

Hi, I believe my turtle is dead and I don't know what to do. He seemed fine and was basking when I left for work and now his eyes are closed and he won't move. I've tried gently poking him and picking him up, but there is no response. I don't know where to begin if he is dead. Do I bury him? If so what do I bury him in?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your turtle. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** I've had him for seven years. As far as I know I thought he was still fairly young
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Noah?
Customer: I did just reclean his tank and the filter, but nothing different from usual
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

I'm very sorry to hear that your turtle has likely passed on. If you do not receive a withdrawal reflex with handling the head, feet and tail, and there is no response when you attempt to touch his eyes, it's likely that he has passed on.

You can bury him, if you like. You can also opt for cremation, if you'd prefer to keep his ashes, just as one might with a loved relative (any veterinary facility an offer this to you for a fee).

Again, I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. Sometimes no matter what we do in regards ***** ***** care, our companion animals will pass away. There may have been an underlying organ issue that ultimately claimed his life in an untimely fashion.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.