Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

Is my Chameleon dehydrated? I looked at her stool and it is

Customer Question

Is my Chameleon dehydrated? I looked at her stool and it is mostly white and brown but it also has some yellow. If she is what do I do next? She is just a baby..
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.How is her appetite? Her energy?What do you feed her?What is the humidity level in her enclosure?What temperatures do you maintain under her basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What substrate do Uou use on the cage floor?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning. Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I may be able to give you more help if you'll provide the information I asked for. In the meantime, I'll provide a first aid measure for dehydration.

Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your chameleon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

If you have more questions, or want to provide the other information, just let me know. I hope your chameleon will be able to recover.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok sounds good, it seems like she is fine just the tip of her urate is yellow, what should I use for a tub?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a picture of her stool, what do you make of it?
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

The stool looks rather hard and dry. There isn't a lot of yellow, but even that little bit is a sign of dehydration. I would begin soaks as soon as possible.

Most people just use a plastic dishpan for soaks, but you can use a sink as long as you disinfect it afterwards.

Also make sure the humidity is high enough in her cage.

If you don't see a rapid improvement, I would consider a vet visit. chameleons are among the most fragile of reptiles and even minor problems can turn fatal. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your little chameleon will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see how your chameleon is doing now. Have the soaks helped with dehydration? I hope so. Let me know if you need anything else.