Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

A femail box turtle has wondered into my small pond and stay

Customer Question

a femail box turtle has wondered into my small pond and stay in the water. She stays under water most of the time as though hibernating. I removed her and carried her several hundred feet away to a wooded area to release her but within three or four hours she was back in the water. should I be concerned? Does she need food or attention. She comes to the surface in the morning to breath but then spends the day buried in the mud in the bottom of my pond.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I' a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. It's kind of you to be concerned about this turtle.This is not normal behavior for a box turtle. If the weather is extremely hot, they will burrow into soil or leaves to stay cool, but staying in mud at the bottom of a pond is not typical. Some additional information will be useful.Are you certain it is a box turtle and not some other kind?For how long has it been doing this?How do you know it's a female - has it laid eggs?If you are asked to rate my service , please don't do that just yet since we we just beginning. Thank you.