Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My sulcata tortoise i just adopted had wet feecees the

Customer Question

my sulcata tortoise i just adopted had wet feecees the previous owner said his diet was plantains apples and dry dog food..????? i for the last 3 days have gave him high fiber greens and a few acorn squash he is grazing and had a solid stool BUT today went out to his pen and he had passed an entire plastic bread bag that a loaf of bread comes in did not see aLLL OF IT IT WAS IN PIECES WAITING TO SEE IF HE INDEED ATE THE WHOLE BAG OR JUST PART? BUT SEEMS TO BE WALKING AROUND AND EATING ????? ANY ADVISE
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

The previous diet is horrible and surprised that tortoise is not dead. He need grass hays and weeds along with dark leafy greens. I would start him on Oxbow Salad Style hay which is grass hays weed and flowers specifically formulated for tortoises health and well being. You can add some Butter nut squash, and some Canned Pumpkin, not pie filling to the diet. The pumpkin will aid with the loose water stools. I am hoping he passes what is left of the bread bag. Make sure he is getting plain calcium, since it sounds like that may have been neglected. Cuttle bones scattered around can also help with the calcium issue. This link gives specific information on correcting the diet:

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sulcata Tortoise. How is everything going?