Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon 1.5 y/o is losing eye sight. s current

Customer Question

my bearded dragon 1.5 y/o is losing eye sight. His current diet is collards and other staple greens and wax worms (he cant catch crickets and dubias). Ive spent hundred of dollars on the proper lighting. local pet stores have terrible lighting options so I've ensured that he's gotten the proper lighting. I've kept him well hydrated. I dont know what else to do.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Have you have the Dragon into a Veterinary Opthalmologist for an exam?

What has your Vet said about the vision, any diagnosis?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i havent because it's too expensive for me. I've used your advice and applied vetropolycin. which is more advice than was given by the vet. When i went to the vet they prescribed an antibacterial and i was more inclined to message you
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

In all honesty we have treated the infection which was needed, but the medication may not have been enough to help the eyes. At this point a Veterinary specialist would be needed I suggest a Veterinary Opthalmologist that can actually see inside the eye as to what is going on. You can switch to silk worms or Phoenix worms which would be a better choice for feeding. I also suggest to continue using the baby food as I had suggested in previous communication. I can try and locate the Herp Vet or a Veterinary Opthalmologist with a state. I wish there was a better answer, but unfortunately Thre is not much that can be done at home without knowing what is actually happning.

Joan