Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My 15 yr old red eared slider got electrocuted chewing

Customer Question

My 15 yr old red eared slider got electrocuted chewing through the filter line I think. He is limp and barely moving. Is there anything we can do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. No wound
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the slider's name?
Customer: His eyes are swollen
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the slider?
Customer: Tor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this accident.It is very difficult for a turtle to recover from something like this. The very best thing to do would be to take him to your vet as soon as possible. If you don't already have a reptile vet, give me your zip code, and I'll find the nearest one.If a vet visit isn't possible, you can buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Soak your turtle for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to hold his nostrils out of the water if he's too weak to do so. You can repeat this a couple of times throughout the day. This measure can help with shock and dehydration that often occur with any type of injury. In between soaks, place him in a dry enclosure. A turtle can drown in this condition. This will be all you can do on your own.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your turtle will be able to recover.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna