PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 years experience in veterinary medicine, special interest in reptiles and arachnids.
8538164

We have had sugar ant problem in kitchen and used terro to

Customer Question

We have had sugar ant problem in kitchen and used terro to rid and it worked....
We have active lizards outside kitchen window and we love !
Are ants in lizard diet, and have we made big mistake by using terro ? !
Many Thanks, Jim
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Jim.

Many lizards will eat ants, but if these are free roaming lizards they should do just fine with a decreased number of ants filtering into your home. There are plenty of other insects outside for them to eat and they will adjust accordingly.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My question probably was not clear; my question was not about the decrease in ants BUT, would these ants carrying poison
be eaten by lizards and thus poison lizards ?
Thanks,
Jim

The good news is that the "poison" they use is borax and actually relatively non-toxic to animals and people. If a lizard were to consume a large volume of the ants, there might be recourse but very unlikely since each ant ingests very little. In general, small doses of borax are not toxic to lizards. I, personally, would not be concerned.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First of all, price is going up and first answer has not been answered in correct context... My question is about ants returning to nest after having eaten Terro with ARSNIC. And if lizards consuming these ants would be poisoned also...? We Love Our Lizards !