Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Help please, I have a baby red ear slider, she was fine

Customer Question

Hi , help please , I have a baby red ear slider , she was fine earlier , I noticed that she wont move so well today , and a couple of hours ago she was not moving in the water of her tank.
I pulled her out , her head and feet are all out , they move where ever I rotate her as if she is dead , normally she would bite or hide her head inside , then suddenly she wakes up opens her mouth very big and goes dead again , she keeps doing this like each few minutes, rather than this , she looks totally dead .
I thought she was drowning and did the first aid of drowning but its not helping .
Please help my turtle
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you post a Picture of the way she looks now?

Please pinch back foot and let me know if any pain reaction and tries to pull away.

Please gently tap by the eye and see if she moves eyes at all.

I will wait.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I pulled the feet back , she didnt try to pull back in , no reaction at all ! , also tapped the eye , the eyes are open and when I tab them she does not move at all ,She still keeps that sudden mouth open and go back looking dead each few minutes .
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

From the looks of her and the fact there is no pain reaction , I am afraid she is gone. She is a hatchling and and must have been very weak. I wish I could give you better news but from all signs, she passed to the Rainbow Bridge. My condolences.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but she moves every now and then ? , so she is still alive , so she will be gone , not gone , right ?